We love an excuse to talk about the fantastic qualities of wool. (And share a picture of our favourite sheep of course.) And what better time than October, which is officially Wool Month!
We love working with wool, wearing it and living with it. Here are just some of its wonderful attributes:
- It is 100% natural.
- It is a renewable fibre – sheep re-grow it every year for us.
- It keeps you warm and cosy in the cold weather, even when it is a bit wet.
- It is highly breathable and adjusts to changes in your body temperature.
- It is resilient and elastic, always returning to its original shape.
- It is resistant to staining and odours.
- It is fire retardant – ideal for home furnishings.
- And at the end of its useful life, it is biodegradable.
Not convinced yet? You can read more about wool’s qualities on the Campaign for Wool website.
Campaign for Wool
The Campaign for Wool is a global promotion initiated by its patron, the former Prince of Wales. Since 2010 it has been raising awareness about wool and its amazing attributes. It also works hard to highlight the versatility of this planet-friendly fibre. From fabric to furnishings, flooring to fashion, and even home insulation, it seems there is little that wool cannot do.
The campaign encourages collaborations between wool growers, manufacturers, retailers and designers. It also embraces the craft sector and artisan community, and we are proud to be partners in the campaign.
So this October, why not wrap yourself up in your favourite Skye Weavers scarf or blanket and join us in celebrating nature’s performance fibre. And let’s not forget the sheep who grow it for us every year. Natural, biodegradable, renewable – you’ve got to #ChooseWool!